Pages

Friday, September 16, 2016

A picture frame with ebony - part 1

Today I start a multi-part series of articles about the construction of a relatively elaborate frame and the circular saw guide rail. It is the first construction project on my blog here and I'm very excited about what you think of this kind of blog posts. And even if you have now no especially great interest to see how to build a picture frame, so you can use but certainly the one or the other tip, I will give you in the course of the next parts.

But now to the frame itself. The frame to take over a puzzle which has the dimensions 980 x 380 mm. He should hang in the living room on the sofa. The furniture is decorated in red wood and the frame to fit naturally. A few ebony residues are also there, as well as some small buttons, also made of ebony. The framework should emerge from these existing materials.


The planning is but once before the construction. I'm on a PC, using the Sketch Up program. In principle, you can do it also on a large plate. Minor point is the way to the appropriate design, the goal is important. I made the design in several steps.

The first step uses the size of the image. On this basis, I drew the frame with a width of 80 mm.

A projection of 40 mm I have planned at all ends of the frame parts. Better I did however like, if only the two cross sections of the frame.

A few borrows from the arts and crafts-style, which I like very much this draft was created at the end. The dark applications are thin strips of ebony and the aforementioned buttons.

The router will often be used in the construction. For example, when the corner connections, the decorations, the inlaid ebony strips and in some places more.

Before it's ready, but still the wood must be prepared. I am fortunate that I have already pre planed timber from some other furniture projects left. I have just cut it and plane out to the appropriate dimensions. The material thickness is 25 mm at the end.

In the best circular saw, it then goes to the nitty-gritty. I will show the milling of the corner connections, insert the TRIMs and buttons, Assembly, embedding the Backboard and of course also the surface treatment of the frame.

At the end of the first part, I would still like to ask you for your opinion: I should show small projects more often here on the blog? If so, fairly simple things, or it may be slightly more difficult? Like to exactly recreate such projects or get better suggestions when such documentation? Simply use the comment feature to share your opinion with me. They can also benefit to questions on this project to make the comment function.

No comments:

Post a Comment